I Wish I Could but I Don T Want to

I Wish I Could but I Don T Want to

How to Use 'Wish'

Wishes about the present or futurity

(Download this explanation in PDF here.)

Wish + (that) + past simple:
We can employ 'wish' to talk about something that we would like to be different in the present or the future. It's used for things which are impossible or very unlikely.

  • I wish that I had a big house (I don't take a big house, but it's a nice thought!).
  • I wish that we didn't demand to work today (we exercise need to work today, unfortunately).
  • I wish that you lived shut by (you don't live close by).
  • I wish that John wasn't busy tomorrow* (he is decorated, unfortunately).
(*In formal writing, you will run into 'were' instead of 'was' after wish. This is right, but it'due south also fine to use 'was', in the same manner as with the second provisional.
  • 'I wish I were rich' or 'I wish I was rich'.)
We likewise employ 'wish' with 'could' to talk about things in the nowadays or future that we would like to be unlike. In this situation, 'could' is the past simple of 'can'.

Of form, we utilize 'tin can' to talk nearly ability - if we know how to do something or not. For instance, 'I tin can speak Spanish' or 'I tin't drive'. We likewise use 'can' to talk almost possibility - if things are possible or non possible. For case, 'we tin can't come to the political party this night' or 'John can assist you make clean up'. We utilize 'could' with 'wish' to talk about power and to talk about possibility.

  • I wish that I could speak Spanish (simply, unfortunately, I can't speak Spanish).
  • I wish that I could drive (I can't drive).
  • I wish that we could get to the party tonight (unfortunately, we're busy and then we tin't get).
  • I wish that John could help yous clean up (John is at work, so he tin't assist).
Try an exercise about 'wish' hither.

We don't commonly employ 'wish' in this way for things that are really possible in the future. Instead, we use 'promise'. Read more than about 'promise' hither.

  • I promise that you lot laissez passer your exam (Not: I wish that you lot passed the test).
  • I hope that it'south sunny tomorrow (Not: I wish that it was sunny tomorrow).
  • I hope that Julie has a lovely holiday (NOT: I wish that Julie had a lovely holiday).
Wish + (that) + would:
On the other mitt, we use 'would' with 'wish' in a piffling bit of a special style. It'south generally used nearly other people who are doing (or not doing) something that we don't similar and nosotros want that person to alter. It'due south not usually used about ourselves, or about something which nobody can modify though, exceptionally, we practice utilize it about the weather.
  • I wish that John wouldn't consume all the chocolate. (John does commonly swallow all the chocolate and I don't like information technology. I desire him to modify his behaviour!)
  • I wish that the neighbours would be quiet! (They are not repose and I don't like the racket.)
  • I wish that you wouldn't smoke so much! (Yous practice smoke a lot and I don't similar it. I desire you to change this.)
  • I wish that you wouldn't work tardily and then frequently.
  • I wish that it would stop raining!
Nosotros don't usually use 'would' when there's no feeling that nosotros desire somebody to modify their behaviour.
  • Not: I wish that tomorrow would exist a holiday. (Instead: I wish that tomorrow was a holiday.)
  • NOT: I wish that I would work harder. (It'south strange to apply 'wish' + 'would' near yourself, as yous tin can change your behaviour if you don't like it!)

Wishes about the by

Wish + (that) + past perfect:
We can employ 'wish' with the past perfect to talk near regrets from the by. These are things that have already happened merely we wish they'd happened in a different style. This employ of 'wish' is very like to the third provisional.
  • I wish that I had studied harder at school. (I didn't study hard at school, and now I'm lamentable about it.)
  • I wish that I hadn't eaten so much yesterday! (But I did eat a lot yesterday. Now I think it wasn't a good idea.)
  • I wish that the railroad train had been on time. (Only unfortunately the train was belatedly, and and then I missed my interview.)

Other uses of 'wish'

Wish + to + infinitive:
We can apply 'wish' with the infinitive to mean 'would like'. This is very formal. We don't usually apply a continuous tense with 'wish' in this case.
  • I wish to speak to the headmaster. (This means the aforementioned every bit 'I would like to speak to the headmaster'.)
  • I wish to become at present.
Wish + object + to + infinitive:
In the same way, we can apply 'wish' with an object and an infinitive.
  • I practice not wish you to publish this commodity.
  • I wish these people to leave.
Wish + somebody + something:
This is used mostly in set phrases.
  • I wished him a happy birthday.
  • They wished u.s. Merry Christmas.

Need more practice? Become more Perfect English Grammar with our courses.

Ezoic

I Wish I Could but I Don T Want to

Posted by: gilbertoempsy1998.blogspot.com

Comments

More Articles

森七菜 : 森七菜、『少年寅次郎』出演 寅次郎の初恋の人・さとこ役に ...

Mega Codeck Pack Windows 10 - K-Lite Codec Pack v15.3.2 "MEGA" (2019) Full Codecs Audio ...

Vlad Models. Ru : VLADMODELS.ru (VLAD)

Minimum Railing Height Ontario - Deck Railing Height: Requirements and Codes for Ontario

Radar Burzowy - Radar Burzowy Artykuly Luban Nasze Miasto

Hairstyles For Girls Braids / Braids for Kids: Black Girls Braided Hairstyle Ideas in ...

Chi Hang Xom Tam Xhamster : Phẫn nộ cảnh người đàn ông tâm thần sống cô độc bị hàng ...

Свитолина Олимпиада - Mz4ax6qq 0llim

Background Polos Halal Bihalal Idul Fitri - Paling Keren Background Pamflet Halal Bihalal Png Little Duckling Blog

Blackberry Q10 Opera Mini Apk Download : Download Opera Mini 7 6 4 Apk For Android Blackberry Z10 Q5 Q10




banner